Skip to main content

765 Update – 6/8/2022

By June 8, 2022Members Only

Submitted by Steve Winicker.


We removed the plugs in the boiler Thursday and washed out the boiler Friday. Syphons were rattled and arch tubes were turbined to get rid of any scale. The water passages were inspected and found to be clear of obstruction. Staybolts were hammered to see if any were broken – no broken bolts were found.  Sarah and I worked on replacing pins and cotter keys in the back two sections of grates.  This work was done to make  a permanent repair for the one pin that fell out and was repaired temporarily at CVSR.  Most of these grates had undersized pins with small cotters.  They are now replaced with larger pins and cotters that should not be able to fall out.  Still to do is to replace the grates on the grate bearer bars. The smoke box was cleaned and inspected.  A bolt was found missing in the draft appliances.  This is being evaluated and the missing bolt replaced in the future.

Other work included many improvements to the Emery.  The flooring is now in stock and most of the interior foundation work has been done.  The diner windows were installed, and some floor removed. The Amtrak decals have been removed from both cars.


As we have help the next projects on the 765 are to finish up repairing the grate structure in the firebox, finish the blower reach rod repair and work on the tank water level indicator drain.

On other projects Jerrad continues to work at painting and polishing the cars.  There is plenty of work needed in that regard.  Some construction work is needed on the Emery.  See Andrew Hershman for projects.


Whether your barbecue uses charcoal, wood, propane or natural gas, don’t even think about firing it up until you are sure it’s safe.

  • Make certain that vents are clean and that there are no areas that have rusted through.
  • Thoroughly clean your grill each season. Grease buildup can cause a fire that can be difficult to extinguish.
  • For gas grills, check and secure all gas connections. A leak can be fatal. Soapy water sprayed onto each connection and fitting will reveal an unwanted leak. Don’t use the grill until the leak, even a small one, has been repaired.
  • Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home or other combustible surfaces.
  • Don’t barbecue indoors, including in a garage. You could literally suffocate every living thing in your home.
  • Don’t barbecue on a wood deck if there is a chance that dry grass is growing beneath it. You can start a fire that may not be easily extinguished.
  • Don’t use gasoline or paint thinner to start your fire.
  • Use starter fluid sensibly. Apply it to the charcoal and then light your fire. Don’t squirt lighter fluid onto the charcoal once a flame or hot coals are present.
  • When using a gas grill NEVER turn the gas on with the lid closed. An accumulation of gas can result in a horrendous explosion.
  • Keep children away from the grill. Each year many children and adults are burnt or injured during backyard barbecues

Enjoy your time with family and friends and ensure everyone is safe