It is the policy of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Inc. that all of its members, employees, and contractors should exhibit respectful and civil behavior, observe all pertinent safety rules and look out for the safety and well-being of others and mind the well-being of tools, railroad equipment, and railroad property.
Membership and participation in the organization’s programs and operations is subject to the observance of the organization’s policies, the rules of host railroads and partners, and the Society’s own Code of Conduct. This Code applies to behavior both on and off Society property and on or away from Society-sponsored events, as well as behavior online and in social media. Any participant who violates the Code of Conduct is subject to review by the disciplinary committee. Members are expected to adhere to the following parameters:
Safety: Members should adhere to railroad and safety rules and procedures at all times and help the public know, understand, and follow rules when possible. Likewise, members should report unsafe activities or circumstances to see that they are corrected.
Respect: Members should respect one another, understanding that each brings different skills, backgrounds, experiences, abilities, interests, and talents to the table.
Stewardship: Members are expected to take care of tools, equipment, locomotives, cars and facilities. Additionally, members should follow all Society rules and policies as dictated by the board of directors.
Outreach: Members are encouraged to take advantage of opportunities to teach or train others, and educate the public.
In cases where conduct is particularly egregious, the board-of-directors may dismiss members with a majority vote without review by the disciplinary committee. The FWRHS will not tolerate the following behavior:
• Abusive language towards another volunteer or member of the general public
• Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs
• Discourtesy to participants, employees, partners, volunteers, or hosts
• Verbal, physical or visual harassment of another participant or member of the general public
• Actual or threatened violence toward any individual or group
• Conduct endangering the life, safety, health, or well-being of others
• Bullying or taking unfair advantage of any participant