Saturday was quite the day of productivity. When I showed up, I found that my shim pieces were cut and ready to go thanks to Steve and Sarah. Rich, John and I used a car jack to lift the car at certain points so the shims could be added. Three were needed in total to level out the bottom beam. If you compare this week’s photo with last week’s you can see a noticeable difference in the levelness of the bottom beam.
Next, we began replacing the vertical wall frames. This proved to be a pretty quick process. As we progressed, we temporarily fastened each to the top and bottom beam. Each new frame added strength to the structure, even if it was only a temporary attachment. After lunch (during the board meeting) John and I adjusted a few of the vertical frames to make the window spacing where we needed it to be at 22″ wide.
Once the meeting was over, and we could make some noise without disrupting, we began to cut and attach the diagonal frame pieces. This meant cleaning and attaching the “L” brackets that each of these fit into. We ended about 5 pm with many new boards being added and a much stronger wall.
I will be at CVSR with the 765, so, I will not be back to work on the caboose until after that. The plan is to keep framing and trying to keep everything as level and square as possible. Hopefully by then we have a solid lead on our rafters as they will really tighten up things on the car. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. And as always a huge Thanks to those who have had a hand in the work and thanks to those who support the project in other ways.