Skip to main content

Shop Update – 2/5/2017

By February 9, 2017June 21st, 2017Members Only

Submitted by Tom Nitza.

Another productive Friday and Saturday. The main accomplishment was completing the oil change on the Plymouth. Both engines now have fresh oil and filters. There was one minor oil leak because we improperly installed a clamp on one of the filters. But, once we figured out our mistake the problem was resolved. Each engine holds about 10 gallons. We also took an oil sample from the #2 engine. Last year we sampled the oil in the #1 engine. From here on out we’ll probably sample once each year and use those results to determine when an oil change will be necessary. Given the light us of the engine it will most likely be several years until we have to concern ourselves with another oil change.

We’ll be ordering an hour meter to install on each engine to keep track of operating hours. That information is also used to help determine oil change intervals since the mileage the locomotive runs will be negligible.
The next scheduled work session will be Saturday February 11th. There are a bunch of minor projects to work on. I left the list at the shop so I’m not going to try to reconstruct the list here.